Top Horizontal Link Unit

Search my site for a particular ingredient!
Custom Search

Friday, April 6, 2012

Slow Carb Diet: Orange Chicken Recipe

Sticking to a slow carb diet doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up great tasting food.  While I've been following the 4HB diet, I've used several of my cheat days to satisfy Chinese food cravings every once in a while.  However, wouldn't it be nice if you could take some of that Chinese food flavor and use it during the rest of your week while still sticking to the diet?  Maybe, a delicious Asian-style dish such as orange chicken?
I came across this recipe for slow carb orange chicken, posted by Jason over at Finding My Fitness.  It's fantastic.  It completely took care of my Chinese food cravings when I wasn't allowed to eat regular Chinese food during the week, and I didn't have to cheat on my diet to do it!  I highly recommend giving this orange chicken recipe a try.

Let me know what you think!

Ingredients:
  • This recipe makes enough for 1 serving, so double or triple as necessary
  • 1 chicken breast, cubed
  • Sliced vegetables, such as peppers or squash
  • 2 stalks of celery
  • 2 chopped green onions
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 tbsp crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 tsp orange zest
  • 1-2 tbsp olive oil
  • optional - 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • optional - 1-2 cups bean sprouts
Directions:
  • Saute the garlic, ginger, and red pepper in the olive oil over medium heat.
  • Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides (it will still continue to cook).
  • Add the vegetables and celery, and cook until they are soft.
  • Add the green onions and orange zest, and mix them in well.
  • Crack the egg into the frying pan, and mix it with the rest of the food to scramble it.
  • Remove from the heat, and enjoy.
Optional extra steps:
  • Add the soy sauce to the emptied frying pan, and scrape up any of the leftover bits.
  • Add in the bean sprouts, and cook just until they are warm and soft.
  • Serve with the chicken mixture.
That's all there is to it.  A slow carb recipe that will let you eat orange chicken without having to wait for your cheat day meal.  Give it a try, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.  Thanks again to Jason for posting the original recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment